ConEmu Startup Directory
When you start ConEmu and do not specify the directory
where you want to start it, the default (startup) directory
Why? There are reasons.
- It is almost useless to start your shell in the ConEmu installation folder (you will get that if you run ConEmu from shortcut or Explorer window).
- It may be dangerous to start your shell in the
system32folder (you will get that if you run something from Win+R).
Force use of the specific directory
If you want to force ConEmu to start using some specific default directory there are options.
- Force inherit current directory of the parent process.
-hereswitch to ConEmu’s command line. This switch is used in ConEmu’s Here or Inside.
- ConEmu’s shortcut properties. You may change ‘Working directory’ field.
- Task parameters. You may add
-dir ...switch. This may be overrided by ConEmu’s command line.
- ConEmu’s command line (or shortcut).
You may add
- -new_console:d:… switch in the task or specified command.
Shell related notes
For example, cygwin always starts (by default) in user’s home directory, Far Manager may restore last or saved panel directories, and so on…
The workaround is to tell your console application to use specified directory instead of default one. Here are some hints…
CHERE_INVOKINGenvironment variable for cygwin shells. Example: ~~~ set CHERE_INVOKING=1 & sh.exe -l -i ~~~
!ConEmuWorkDir!environment variable. Example: ~~~ Far.exe “!ConEmuWorkDir!” ~~~
Refer to your application manual to find proper way.